[Edu-sig] The fate of raw_input() in Python 3000

Peter Bowyer peter at mapledesign.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 13:03:41 CEST 2006

At 11:47 13/09/2006, Arthur wrote:
>I can imagine an introductory course that was in fact more a
>*reading* course than a writing course - that spent a good deal of
>its time analyzing the code of  relatively straightforward, but
>interesting, working applications.  The satellite view, before we
>attempt to descend to a finer resolution.

That's a lot like how I learned to program.  I bought a book
(Professional PHP - nothing like an intro book!) and once I'd read
some basics I went in and wrote a proper application - an ecard
script, following the outline of Perl code that I'd read previously
(without being able to write).  That way I learned from someone else
(apprenticeship) and wrote something that was *useful* when finished
(encouraging me to learn).

When studying physics I found the same approach worked, taking a
real-world application generated enthusiasm for learning esoteric
subjects.  If you enjoy learning for the sake of knowledge I guess
this approach isn't needed; otherwise I believe it to be the most
effective approach.

Peter

--
Maple Design - quality web design and programming
http://www.mapledesign.co.uk