[Edu-sig] creating an interface vs. using one

Daniel Ajoy da.ajoy at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 21:50:29 CEST 2006

On 23 Sep 2006 at 12:00, edu-sig-request at python.org wrote:

> You CANNOT articulate OO on a TI.  You can?t create a class.  Most people
> don?t care, right now, because they don?t even know what that means, but I
> can guarantee you that there?s a bunch of scientists at places like
> CalTech who DO care!  Mathematics is already object-oriented, and the
> curriculum of the future will need to make students conscious of that
> fact.  OO is not something just for CS majors!  Seriously.

I don't believe this to be true.

2+3

What I see about from a mathematical point of view is two things,
and an operator that acts upon those things.

The OO point of view is that 2 is an object and that the plus
sign is a method of this object and that 3 is the argument of
this method.

The OO point of view is *nothing like* the mathematical point
of view.

In math, operators and numbers are two different things and the
former don't "belong" to later.

Daniel