[Edu-sig] education as Python's killer app

Andrew Harrington aharrin at luc.edu
Tue Apr 17 05:42:58 CEST 2007

Beautifully written Michael!  Plus I learned some interesting facts and
bent my head a bit differently.
I think you are right that we would do well to consider the implications
of Sugar -- beyond the XO machine.

I would not say there are no easy and interesting places to start with
Python -- Rur-ple for instance.  It is not a killer-app, though.  I find
Rur-ple constraining when trying to extend past the carefully planned
sequence in the tutorials.

Thinking ahead, an environment with built-in objects with the high level
methods of Scratch sprites would be good:  easy animation of multiple
sprites with multiple views, knowledge of collisions, maybe even
knowledge of bouncing off walls and other sprites....  Scratch adds a
mouse based editor/construction environment that makes syntax errors
impossible. I would think that for someone with a little experience,
Scratch would be a lot slower than typing.  I am not suggesting
insisting on taking the typing out of Python.  (I have not looked to see
what has been built on top of PyGame -- does something come close to
what I am saying?)  For starting off, I like the 2D world of
Pygame/Scratch.  I find the 3D world of Alice distracting.

Andy Harrington