[Edu-sig] OLPC: $175 and Windows capable

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Sun Apr 29 01:28:27 CEST 2007

kirby urner wrote:
> I'm not surprised the hardware'll be Windows-capable

Funny thing, that. The *old* hardware was also Windows-capable; it's why
the SD-card slot was put in. It seems the news being reported are "it
could run Windows before, but it'll be less sluggish now," and I'm not
sure why people are getting riled up about it. The machines won't ship
Windows by default, and no core OLPC dev effort is really going towards it.

> as the low price
> of $179.99 derives from using standard mass market laptop designs
> already in circulation

Not sure what you're talking about here; we didn't move to using _any_
"standard mass market designs" by implementing the hardware upgrade.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D