[Edu-sig] interactive vs compiled from file

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 00:30:59 CEST 2007

On 8/3/07, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/3/07, Michael Tobis <mtobis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks, Dethe, that's very nice, and also thanks for your signature,
> > which is thought provoking indeed.

Yes, thanks Dethe.  And your pointer about sys.displayhook may be just what
was needed so that I could embed IPython as an alternative shell within
Crunchy - without interfering with the other shells!   I just need to
experiment a bit more...

> Does anyone agree with me about the didactic value of this change?
> >
> > mt

Well, I do - I had to explain this very difference between the behaviour of
the interpreter and that of an editor [inside Crunchy :-)] to my son last
week; I managed to get him started on "How to think like a computer
scientist".  :-) :-)

 How would you call that mode to distinguish it from the standard
interpreter, and warning your students that this is a non-standard
implementation?

If you put duct tape over the snake's mouth in shell mode,
> students might discover they miss the REPL, which helps
> motivate a sense of why so many successful languages
> (LISP, Scheme, APL, J... xBase) have such a mode.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REPL
>
> (note:  this article suggests not confusing REPL with "an
> interpreter" citing Python in particular).
>
> Asked what about Python most drew them in, many newbies
> cite shell mode (e.g. iPython, IDLE, PyCrust, DrPython or whatever).

Kirby got a good point - however, I think that you'd still get the "hook"
with newbies without the automatic echoing that Michael describes.

-- Kirby

> Another project in the Crunchy genre?
> http://projects.amor.org/misc/wiki/HTTPREPL

Crunchy 0.1 was very much inspired by this same project from Robert Brewer -
the original code built on that example.  It wasn't until version 0.3, I
believe, that Johannes Woolard removed the CherryPy dependency (
http://pytute.blogspot.com/2006/05/progress-so-far.html) allowing Crunchy to
evolve significantly since.

 André