[Edu-sig] Rich Data Streams

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Fri Aug 24 08:06:01 CEST 2007

On 8/24/07, Jeff Rush <jeff at taupro.com> wrote:
> kirby urner wrote:
> >> Kirby, I've seen your posts re building up a reusable set of data for teaching
> >> before, and I think it is a good idea.  Where are you collecting and making
> >> this information available?  It seems like a single project under source
> >> control would allow others to utilize and contribute to such a stockpile,
> >> piece by piece.
> >
> > I'm more just into upholding edu-sig's reputation as a source of
> > great ideas.  Rich Data Structures & Streams, you saw it here
> > first.
>
> I was afraid of that. ;-(  It would make a valuable resource.

Jeff, if you have an idea where to store pointers to rich data sources
(Python Wiki maybe?), we could start collecting them there.  Here are
a few for starters:

ISO Country Codes list: http://xml.coverpages.org/country3166.html

Moby Word Lists: http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/research/ilash/Moby/

MathWorld, lookup formulas to your hearts content: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/

There are many more, of course, and I too would love to see a good
place where we could collect them.

See the Frink language for a interesting approach: Many data sources
are built-ins to Frink, and the language uses units rather than simple
numbers to represent data.
http://futureboy.homeip.net/frinkdocs/

HTH

--Dethe