[Edu-sig] Rich Data Streams

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 22:00:25 CEST 2007

Yeah, excellent raw material with real world applications.

E.g.:
http://wiki.gleducar.org.ar/wiki/Nombres_Propios_de_Personas

When working on a data transformation between MS Access
and Postgres, we had this need to not use real client data,
which was of a sensitive nature.  The need to manufacture
huge numbers of fake individuals, simply to test a database
design with bogus content, during development, is very real.

The value added by a student of Python would be to take
such raw text files and repackage them in a suitable Python
data structure that could just be imported as a part of a module.

I'm not saying this isn't going on as we speak.  Depends on
the classroom and whether the school keeps a server (usually
you have faculty experts supervising different areas, helping
the data stay sane).

Kirby