[Edu-sig] Scratch interface for Python, and network programming games.

John Zelle john.zelle at wartburg.edu
Mon Aug 27 18:15:03 CEST 2007

This is a very interesting assignment, but I would just point out that this is
hardly an "intro CS course." They are doing these particular projects in an
intermediate/advanced data structures/algorithms class. That would be a 3rd
semester college-level course for those who entered without a programming
background. At least that is where the link goes, and that seems appropriate
for the assignment.

Just building this as a Python API, rather than a separate interpreter might
make for an interesting (and somewhat simpler project). The "critters" could
then easily be programmed right in Python, which is something that even
beginning programmers could do.

--John

On Monday 27 August 2007 9:08 am, Clare Richardson wrote:
> There's an intro CS course at UT Austin that has an assignment where
> students create "critters" that can eat each other, etc, and the
> students in the class have a big tournament to see whose critter is the
> last man standing.  This is often the favorite assignment of the
> semester, and many students from past years even come back for the
> tournament!
>
> The assignment comes in two parts:
> 1) Write an interpreter for the "Critter language"
> 2) Define your own Critter in the Critter language
>
> The class assignment is in Java, but could easily be turned into Python.
>
> The project description and code are on this page:
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/jdiamond/cs315h/index.html#Proj3
>
> Clare Richardson
> Technology and Program Coordinator
> Girlstart
> www.girlstart.org

John M. Zelle, Ph.D.             Wartburg College
Professor of Computer Science    Waverly, IA
john.zelle at wartburg.edu          (319) 352-8360