[Edu-sig] arthur siegel has passed away

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Feb 2 15:05:16 CET 2007

Beth-

I just read your note. I am sorry to hear about the death of Arthur.

I enjoyed conversing with Arthur via email. We didn't always agree (who
does?), but he made a lot of great points and I learned much from reading
his writing, including looking back on is contributions for years in the
edusig archives. Arthur had many thought provoking things to say, and I am
glad he took the time to say them and contribute to a large discussion on
computers and education. We were certainly in broad general agreement
about the value of learning and a desire to make the learning experience
as good a one as possible for as many people as possible.

Arthur may not have had the publicly-recognized "star" quality of some in
the computer field (including some whom he critiqued here on the edusig
list), but "the woods would be very quiet if no bird sang there but the
one judged best". Arthur's was an important voice in the wilderness of
technology, and it saddens me that I will no longer be able to get his
perspective on new technology issues as they arise.

Arthur made a positive contribution to education with PyGeo (and I'm sure
other things, including his writings to edusig, the archive of which will
hopefully continue to echo his voice for a long time to come). I am glad
PyGeo is hosted at SourceForge and so will also continue to be available
to learners as a monument to Arthur's dedication and caring and generosity
and love of learning and love of Geometry.

One of the most insightful things Arthur wrote to edusig recently was:
: One theme that seems to run through discussions here is related to this
: issue. Is it the educators' mission to find just the right motivational
: buttons and push them just right ???  Or rather focus on responding
: appropriately to those who come to the learning process with some
: critical mass level of  motivation???
:
: It seems to be one of the fault lines, in some of the discussions here.

It was a great insight into the nature of education and the soul of the
educator and the learner. It is an insight I still need to reflect on
more, along with his other writings.

Arthur will be missed. Whatever the nature of the great Geometric mystery
beyond the end of life in this world, I wish him well.

Again, my condolences in this difficult time for you and the rest of his
family.

--Paul Fernhout