[Edu-sig] Procedural front end for Zelle's graphics.py

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Wed Feb 7 12:03:58 CET 2007

Peter Drake wrote:

> Is anyone else using Python procedurally in an intro course, or is what
> I'm doing here perverse?

What you are doing is definitely not perverse, and I strongly disagree with Kirby on
this one, *for the audience you are dealing with*.   I've taught programming for a
number of years, both OO and procedural, and I find that if someone has math phobia,
*and* you only have a limited time (like a semester), then OO is way more powerful
than you need to get into, and is thus unduly confusing for the students.  For those
who have had a little programming, OO can make some things very nice.

Therefore, I do most of my python teaching procedurally, and leave the OO for the
slightly more advanced students.

Have a look at some of my projects on http://web.bryant.edu/~bblais/projects.html

They include:

    pynqc: a python wrapper to the LEGO Mindstorms NQC language
    Vacuum World: a vacuum world simulator (a.la. Norwig's AI book), which is a nice
graphical way to introduce programming in Python, simulating a vacuum cleaner

let me know if you use these, or have any questions!

			thanks,

				Brian Blais

--

              bblais at bryant.edu