[Edu-sig] Using objects early was Procedural front end for Zelle's graphics.py

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Wed Feb 7 19:12:55 CET 2007

John Zelle wrote:
> I think it's important here to differentiate between doing OOP, that is, doing
> design with classes vs. just using objects. Unlike Kirby, I personally see
> nothing wrong with going the procedural route with these students, but I
> don't think that using some objects in this context is particularly confusing
> to students. I can only make sense of the statement "OO is way more powerful
> than you need to get into" in the context of teaching OO design
> (encapsulation, polymorphism, inheritance). Using pre-existing object types
> requires no more conceptual machinery than function calls, and is really just
> more procedural programming.

I agree entirely.  In fact, I use the math module early on (for simple trig) or the
random module, each with the dot notation.  I don't think the calling syntax is the
problem, and as you point out is just like function calls.  I don't consider that
OOP, even though in the background it is implemented that way.  To carry it that far,
you'd have to admit that:

a=1

is OOP, which I think is a bit far.  I consider OOP when you start looking at class
definitions and design with classes as you say above.

				bb

--

              bblais at bryant.edu
              http://web.bryant.edu/~bblais