[Edu-sig] OLPC: first thoughts on the first keynote at Pycon

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 04:20:49 CET 2007

On 2/23/07, Vern Ceder <vceder at canterburyschool.org> wrote:
> I would second Andre's assessment. It just may have been one of the best
> keynotes of any PyCon, whatever you think of OLPC. And I think most
> people in the room ended up with a pretty positive feeling for what the
> OLPC folks want to do.
>
> Vern

I haven't met anyone "anti" OLPC, just some who've felt their plans to
further computerize the curriculum were not on hold while we waited for
such hardware to materialize.  Mark Shuttleworth for example.  The
forward progress of that South African process was in no way contingent upon
the success of failure (e.g. perpetual postponement) of the projected
OLPC result (one laptop per child).  For example, given TuxLabs,
shared equipment, it's already possible to do Squeak-based robotics or
whatever.