[Edu-sig] Reminder: Early Bird Registration for PyCon Ending Soon

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Jan 12 17:32:23 CET 2007

Jeff Rush wrote:

> The conference is also running four keynote talks by leaders in the
> programming field, with a special focus on education this year:
>
>    "The Power of Dangerous Ideas: Python and One Laptop per Child"
>       by Ivan Krstic, senior member of the One Laptop per Child project
>
>    "Premise: eLearning does not Belong in Public Schools"
>       by Adele Goldberg, of SmallTalk fame
>
>    "Python 3000"
>       by Guido van Rossum, creator of Python
>
>    "The Importance of Programming Literacy"
>       by Robert M. "r0ml" Lefkowitz, a frequent speaker at O'Reilly conferences

Was going to stay quiet, but what the hell.....

3 of 4 keynotes touching directly on the subject of education.

But none of them by educators.  Which I think is telling.

I like to think of Python and its community as potentially part of the
solution, and not part of the problem.

but it is sometimes quite difficult.