[Edu-sig] An OLPC comment

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Wed Jan 17 15:15:26 CET 2007

Hate being the grunch.  I hope the OLPC accomplishes everything it sets
out to and more.

What I suspect is that - having learnt something about complexity and
dynamic systems from computers - that the most profound effects of the
initiative will be unintended ones. Let's hope they are mostly good.

Particularly given this, I don't understand the embedded need, as part
of the process, to the compromise on some basic ideas - normally called
science.

We - on edu-sig - were trying to form some consensus on the need for
empiricism around these issues.

And in his own way, by my reading of events, my erstwhile friend Kirby
was trying to suggest something along these lines during his
participation at the Shuttleworth summit.  Or - maybe more what he was
suggesting - is that until there is empricial evidence that leads us in
a certain and clear direction, best encourage the diversity of ideas.

OLPC seem to represent very much a counter vision.

Seems to me the OLPC has counter ideas on both empiricism *and* the
diversity of ideas.

Here is Nicholas Negroponte's reaction to the idea of bringing empricism
to the party.

http://www.olpcnews.com/implementation/plan/implementation_miracle.html

So there will not be consensus, apparently,