[Edu-sig] An OLPC comment ("Why Educational Technology Has Failed Schools")

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Thu Jan 18 02:17:23 CET 2007

Yes, Paul:

School sucks.

Any kid worth his salt knows that

And yes Paul:

The possibilities for meaningful testing are indeed limited.  Are we
influencing someone to be more or less creative, more or less
independent, etc.

Implicit in the design of any test is our values -i.e. for what are we
testing. So that "empiricism" indeed is just another opportunity to ask
tough questions. But at least its a structure in which to do so.

But it leaves me nothing really much to argue with you about.

I think we both understand the rules, just have somewhat different ideas
  about where to look for the exceptions to the rules.

What I hear when I look over the Squeak shoulders is that of course we
are not claiming that any of this is a substitute for an involved,
caring, creative teacher working in a caring, creative environment. But
given such a teacher in such an environment do you really suppose that
Squeak, or the OLPC, or Python, or PyGeo, or PataPata is actually of
much importance?

I don't.

My interest in computers and education is almost 180 degrees away.

I am not convinced that they have any fundamental importance in the
deliver of instruction.

They are quite a worthy *subject* of instruction, however.

I naively came to edu-sig thinking that was what everyone thought, and
what we were to be about here.