[Edu-sig] An OLPC comment ("Why Educational Technology Has Failed Schools")

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Thu Jan 18 07:41:23 CET 2007

Laura-

That's a good sentiment to use testing to see how we the tester is
succeeding at communicating. I totally agree with the benefit to any
presenter of feedback about whether the audience gets what they are trying
to present. Refining presentations and presentation skills is important.

On the other hand, textbook authors or other non-fiction authors refine
their presentations all the time without "testing" readers. They use other
means (peer review, editors, focus groups, direct feedback on previous
editions by readers, and so on). Would you buy a non-fiction book if you
knew after each chapter someone would quiz you for fifteen minutes so the
author could maybe make that chapter better? As an adult, you'd probably
buy another book.

A seemingly short ten minute test of a class of thirty uses up 300 life
minutes, or five life-hours. Does a presenter have any clear right to
those five life hours per test? Perhaps those life-hours could be spent
more productively (like directly by the presenter in refining their
presentation in other ways?) Personally I love written tests, or at least
used to; so how the individual student experiences a test might vary,
depending in part on attitude (and also a variety of other factors).

Also, consider, on a practical basis, what is most important to teach is
often "attitude". That's why the suggestion is to only praise effort ("I
saw you tried hard!") and, perhaps, incremental progress ("You're getting
smarter every day!"). See for example:
   Five Reasons to Stop Saying "Good Job!"
   http://www.alfiekohn.org/parenting/gj.htm

In the case of "Computer Programming for Everybody" the right attitude
probably includes thinking you can understand some software component, or
replace it, or make it better. For example, one thing that in the 1980s
used to mark a good UNIX systems administrator was a willingness to
consult the "man" pages for new commands; that was the only common thing
about them in one study. It did not really matter how much they could
recall about any command on a test.

How do you test for "attitude"? I would think most good teachers don't
need a written test for attitude of a student -- and would not even trust
a written test as they get a lot of feedback from reading body language.
And they can get that body language feedback even while presenting (not
afterwards).

Sure, you can test skills perhaps. You can test "aptitude". But how do you
really test "attitude" on a practical basis, other than by being in a
person's life and watching them in a variety of situations?

Of course, you could try to formalize this the way, say, a behavioral
ecologist scores actions of monkeys in a troupe (one grooming behavior,
one eating behavior, etc.) but is there really much value in that? It's
not a very human way to relate to other humans. Sure, anthropologists may
do it, but people trying to communicate and mentor? Seems like a bit of a
distraction if done regularly.

Consider Gatto's more general comment on testing here, to see where the
slippery slope of numerical grading heads:
   http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/18t.htm
"[I recommend to measure] performance with individualized instruments.
Standardized tests, like schools themselves, have lost their moral
legitimacy. They correlate with nothing of human value and their very
existence perverts curriculum into a preparation for these extravagant
rituals. Indeed, all paper and pencil tests are a waste of time, useless
as predictors of anything important unless the competition is rigged. As a
casual guide they are probably harmless, but as a sorting tool they are
corrupt and deceitful. A test of whether you can drive is driving.
Performance testing is where genuine evaluation will always be found.
There surely can’t be a normal parent on earth who doesn’t judge his or
her child’s progress by performance."

So, how about performance testing as an indicator kids are learning some
specific skill? For computer programming for everyone, perhaps it could be
to write a program that does some task, and watch them do it?  This is the
kind of continual feedback one gets on presentations based on working with
kids in the computer lab afterwards.

Also, does it really matter if kids are learning what anyone is
specifically trying to teach them at the time? Why should it matter? Kids
are "Learning all the Time", to quote John Holt:
   http://www.holtgws.com/learningalltheti.html
   http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Time-John-Caldwell-Holt/dp/0201550911
So what if they don't learn what you want them to know when you want them
to know it? Surely, if the environment is interesting enough, they are
learning something.

The need to test to ensure learning is a denial of people as learning
creatures, who learn in their own ways, on their own timetables. Does a
library give you a grade for each visit? Does a museum? Does your web
browser? Does anyone deny libraries or museums or web browsers can be
educational, even without testing? Would you use any of them if they did
grade your understanding of everything you looked based on some criterion
of their own and reported those grades about you to unknown people,
perhaps into some kind of credit-score like facility related to future
employment?

Testing is a step towards control; whether for good or bad in various
situations is a more difficult question. And what becomes of the results
in a digital world with a long memory is even more problematical.

As long as kids are not *compelled* to be in a class, one way of knowing a
teacher is losing his or her audience is to look at the number of empty
seats. :-) But a packed classroom is obviously not the only indicator of
quality (they might show up for ice cream sundaes too. :-) And also, a kid
deciding a subject is not of interest for him or her at the moment may
itself be a sign of learning.

--Paul Fernhout