[Edu-sig] Python.Camp

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 20:34:17 CET 2007

> Does anybody here ever organized such an event and can provide a
> checklist or some hints how to organize it?
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> Jan Ulrich Hasecke

Greetings Jan --

In Silicon Forest, though many woodsy camps are in radius, we prefer
to hold weekend Python classes in an already well equipped university
computer lab.

We might try "retreat formats" as budgets permit, but for now that adds
overhead (there's a cool facility near Black Butte my brother in law
helped build that might serve).

If you are successful, I will be interested to learn what logistical lessons
were learned, starting with the Internet connectivity solution (the low-cost
laptops, as you know, implement a P2P bridge network that gives
outliers leap frog access to fat pipe termini -- that's how it's advertised
in Cambodia anyway).

The students, high or middle schoolers in the regular work week,
suddenly get a more adult level intro to a lot of topics, thanks to our
saturdayacademy.org.

We've found Python alone doesn't make enough sense.  Python
in a math context (my earlier approach, still using) helps a lot.

However, Python in the Internet context helps the most, meaning
we talk a lot about the stack, packets, protocols, stuff like that,
all of which I allude to in my Virtual Pycon Keynote Address
(VPKA) discussed in more detail here:

http://mail.geneseo.edu/pipermail/math-thinking-l/2007-January/001087.html