[Edu-sig] Tracing the Dynabook: A Dissertation

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Fri Jan 19 23:50:49 CET 2007

kirby urner wrote:

> You distrust the crassly commercial.  I think academics might
> be missing the boat.

It's not a question, in my mind, as to who is or is not missing the boat.

It is  matter of process.  The academic world has a well-vetted
tradition in which to fit inquiry and the exploration of ideas of the
kinds that are important here. It has evolved as it has evolved. If it
could have evolved to have been less imperfect I see no systemic reason
it would not have done so. It is less imperfect than alternatives I see.

To assault this tradition in the name of geek culture is immature.

To, as a teacher, attract the immature by being as they is irresponsible.

Art