[Edu-sig] Tracing the Dynabook: A Dissertation

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 00:43:51 CET 2007

> To assault this tradition in the name of geek culture is immature.

Dunno why you say "assault."  Geek culture contributes to academia, is
contributed to by academia, but is not synonymous with it -- otherwise
the word'd be too redundant to keep alive.

But it ("geek") seems to serve a purpose.  I like the circusy origins.  We've
always had wandering caravans, not  settled in any particular tower, ivory
or otherwise.  The people in them aren't necessarily unwise or inexperienced.

> To, as a teacher, attract the immature by being as they is irresponsible.
> Art

You haven't justified "assault".  As a very academic type geek, I don't
sense I've betrayed my University, nor 1879 Hall in particular.  My standards
have always been high.