[Edu-sig] Tracing the Dynabook: A Dissertation

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Jan 21 20:40:15 CET 2007

Am Jan 21, 2007 um 15:25  schrieb Arthur:

> Paul D. Fernhout wrote:
>>
>> I think making easy and widely available this support for easy
>> debugging
>> into a function and changing it and restarting all in a still running
>> application would be of great value to anyone learning through
>> tinkering
>> with a Python-powered application (like an educational
>> simulation). And it
>> would increase Python programmer productivity when developing
>> medium to
>> large applications probably by a factor of at least 2X or 3X.
>
> The interest in Python for the Squeak folks seems only that there is a
> larger and more dynamic community of folks devoted to its use and
> continued development.

Actually, Squeak folks do fine. They're not flocking to Python, even
though Paul (unfortunatly for us) left a few years ago. You may be
confusing Alan Kay's reaching out to the Python community with what
the Squeak community does. Two very different pairs of shoes.

> Somehow.
>
> The possibility that you should as a consequence transition, while
> here,
> to learning mode from teaching mode might, I would think might,
> occur to
> you.

We all are learners. I actually enjoy reading and learn from many of
your posts. Likewise, the possibility that what Paul writes from his
experience might actually be something for you to learn. I know it's
hard to appreciate the advantages of a fully interactive and
reflexive system unless you have actually used one. Paul has.

> But you are in a community that accepts the rejection of
> empiricism, so
> I guess there is some amount of consistency in point-of-view.

Repeating this over and over does not actually make it true. People
in OLPC have been empirically studying working with kids and
computers longer than anyone else.

- Bert -