[Edu-sig] Tracing the Dynabook: A Dissertation

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 23:03:49 CET 2007

On 1/21/07, Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.net> wrote:

> I think what there is what comes after an acceptance - a radical
> acceptance -  of ideas of technological determinism.  Fine-tuning the
> inevitable.

I think in the 1960s there might have been some determinism around
a revolution, but when that didn't pan out, you have lots of nostalgia
for "might have been futures", forking off from promising trends in the
1970s.  By the 1980s, with the K-12 math writers pretty much turning
their backs on computer languages, we're talking disaster zone and

Now I sense a contingent waiting in the wings, deus ex machina, willing
to at least stage a comeback of computer languages in math teaching.
But it's not so much SmallTalk behind the scenes as it used to be, if it
ever was.