[Edu-sig] Roommate Matching Algorithm

Greg Matheson lang at ms.chinmin.edu.tw
Sat Jan 27 01:12:13 CET 2007

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Jay Bloodworth wrote:

> Hi.  This is perhaps a bit bit off topic as it is not related to using
> python for direct teaching and learning, but it is about using python
> for an actual project in an actual school.

The topic of classroom-management-related computing needs to be
supported, I think.

> I'd like suggestions for an algorithm for "optimally" placing kids in
> rooming groups for a field study.

> I have found several descriptions of matching algorithms on the web, but
> most have them have been for simply pairing items, not creating larger
> groups.

Can you tweak them so that they first pair individuals and then
pair pairs?

> Also, most assume we have rankings of all the other set
> members, not just a few identified as preferred.

Do they break if you give all the dispreferred students the same

Greg Matheson                    Think globally.
                                 Act locally.
                                Think one thing, do another.