[Edu-sig] Python for math teachers (Google videos)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 02:23:18 CET 2007

> PyGeo is interesting work.

Agreed.

> My efforts to assist in provding VPython a future(lead actually, since
> no one else has stepped up to the plate) is important work.
>
> Immodest enough for you.  Feel better.

A little.  But these are both esoteric back office enclave kinds of
jobs, appreciated by an inner circle, but not getting out in front
with a rhetoric.  Do you think no rhetoric is required, or only that
your role is not to provide it, only to kibbitz from the sidelines when
others strut their stuff (e.g. Kay).

> > And I dislike it surrounding the pontificating used to justify Algebra
> > I, Algebra II, Geometry, Pre-calc, Calc (in whatever order), all
> > undisturbed fossils for the ages, no chance of any Python unless
> > we jump through stupid hoops proving over and over we're not just
> > full of snake oil (got some __ribs__ in here too).
>
> So much of the Grand Fallooning sounds like snake oil and *is* snake
> oil, that particularly those trained in mathematics - in the art of
> plausibility - will react, and over-react.
>
> We agree about everything, except that we disagree about everything as well.
>
> Art

Which is another back office job you have, to sing sweet canary songs
as we dash down this or that mine shaft, looking for some door into
summer.