[Edu-sig] Brother, Can you Paradigm?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.net
Sun Jan 28 14:20:40 CET 2007

The subject line is Eric Raymond's title of an entry at

http://armedndangerous.blogspot.com/2003_07_27_armedndangerous_archive.html

I don't read a lot of Raymond, and don't consider myself a libertarian
of his stripe, but a somwhat out-of-context quote I enjoyed from this
article:

"""
There are some books so bad, but so plausible and influential, that
periodically trashing them in public is almost an obligation. The really
classic stinkeroos of this kind, like Karl Marx's Das Kapital, exert a
weird kind of seduction on otherwise intelligent people long after their
factual basis has been completely exploded.
"""

I don't think it possible to separate the special role that history held
for the intellectual in Marxism, and the tendencies of those who
considered themselves intellectuals to give his thinking undue weight.

I think the same is true with Kayianism and the geek.