[Edu-sig] Tkinter window behind IDLE under Mac OS X

Peter Drake drake at lclark.edu
Tue Jan 30 23:45:58 CET 2007

Forgive me if this isn't the appropriate place to post...

I'm trying to write a very simple set of graphics functions for use
by my (non-CS-major) students. Playing with Tkinter, I wrote this:

from Tkinter import *

c = Canvas()
c.pack()
c.create_line(0, 0, 20, 30)
mainloop()

It does, as hoped, produce a window with a little diagonal line in
it. The problem is that this window pops up BEHIND the IDLE window.
Googling around, I've found several other people who have had this
problem (especially under Mac OS X), but no solutions. Is there a
workaround?

I'd just as soon get rid of the "Console" window, too, but that's
less important.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Peter Drake
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Lewis & Clark College
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/