[Edu-sig] a non-rhetorical question

Michel Paul mpaul at bhusd.k12.ca.us
Sat Jul 7 19:49:58 CEST 2007

I was very happy to see this book come out recently:

"Mathematics for the Digital Age"
http://www.skylit.com/mathandpython.html

This is still in its preliminary stages, finished version will appear in February.

The preface is delightful - they explain there how Donald Knuth realized that the mathematics he needed in computer science was not quite what he had studied in the traditional math major.  This led him to create "Concrete Mathematics" (CONtinous + disCRETE).

>I think it's impossible to teach CS to kids who are afraid of math.

More and more I believe high school math teachers have a responsibility to emphasize to students that computers only exist BECAUSE of mathematics.  What makes something a computer is not the material from which it is constructed - that material could even be plumbing - what makes something a computer is its organization.  When a student asks, "When am I ever going to use this stuff?" the answer is - "Every friggin time you use your computer!"

Many math students are actually surprised to hear that - it's weird, but they just do NOT realize that computers have their roots in mathematics!  I really believe that has to change - the whole math curriculum needs to be upgraded for the 21st century.

>here we are in 2007 and most high school
>math classes are stuck in the calculator era.  What happened?

Marketing.  Cleverly appropriating teachers to perform free advertising and sell product by calling them 'leaders'.  Getting textbook publishers to feature calculator sections in each chapter, thereby creating a status quo where technological integration has "already been handled".

Also, I believe part of the problem is the perceived division between CS and mathematics.  CS has grown to become its own discipline and its own department at the university level, so when we talk about integrating CS into math classes, people are apprehensive, thinking we're adding some "other subject", some "additional layer", to the math curriculum.

The difficulty is getting people to realize that it's really the other way around.  When you introduce gadgets - calculators, software "packages", etc. that students then have to learn to use - THAT'S where you get additional layers to the already-existing curriculum.  When you use a high-level computational language, like Python, to express algebraic concepts, the algebra and the technology can be presented as ONE THING.  For example:  >>> for x in domain: x, f(x)  There's actually LESS layering going on there.

There's actually an interesting contrast here between
    emphasizing the unity of CS/mathematics and
    getting kids to program in "fun" (i.e. "non-mathematical") ways.

It does make sense in our math-phobic educational climate to show beginning programming students how they can do fun things without having to worry about the algebra, and quite a lot of good effort has gone into this.

But simultaneously, I think it makes tremendous sense to show students how a kind of algebraic thinking is fundamental to our technology and to weave this into math classes.

- Michel

"Shall I tell you what it is to know?
To say you know when you know, and
to say you do not when you do not,