[Edu-sig] Scaffolding

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 21:12:35 CEST 2007

On 7/8/07, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I've learned a new term from ya'll:  scaffolding.  Of course I knew it
> from the namespace of construction, but here it means a framework
> or prewritten code or auxiliary aids such as diagrams.  Anyone want to
> elaborate?
>
> I see links between "scaffolding" and the concept of "immersion", already
> well established in the language learning community -- human languages
> that is.

I think of "scaffolding" as the difference between "exploration" and
"guided exploration."  To flesh out the architectural analogy, it is
as if the teacher builds a scaffold around empty space & provides an
array of tools and materials.  It is clear that the objective is to
build within the space provided, and more or less direct instruction
may be given on the tools provided, but within this context the
students have freedom to create and explore.

But in particular, an emphasis is made on making sure kids have access
to the intermediate skills necessary to complete the task.

How much scaffolding to do is a central issue in constructivist
education.  I've read studies that indicates there was a huge
difference between the amount of scaffolding done in a classroom by
Papert (a lot! but mostly informal), how he described the process
(downplaying his role), and what happened when people tried to
replicate his process without the scaffolding he provided (didn't work
well).

--Tom