[Edu-sig] a non-rhetorical question

Richard Guenther heistooheavy at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 8 22:34:05 CEST 2007

Jay,

1.  I agree the core issues in teaching programming and teaching formal math are the same core issues.

2.  I'm glad you admit, as I do, that you're not really sure how kids learn algebra.  Certainly we could teach the same way teachers have for the last 50 years and we would get the same results: some get it and most don't.  Teaching in public education in the US now, though, we are pushed constantly to ensure that all students get it.  I'm a pretty successful teacher at a challenging school.  Why am I successful?  I'm not sure.  I have pretty good report with students and I'm by nature always wanting to learn more in life.  I think that gets me as far as any specific techniques I've tried through the years.

3.  I had to laugh when I read what you wrote about educational consulting firms.  They drive me nuts!  The latest one my district paid beaucoup money for had to do with "tactile organization", so now teachers all over here are making sure they have their students folding bright colored paper into "magic books" to try to bring those test scores up!

4.  Finally, I think your point about kids taking a year of "brain growth "and trying again is a good one.  We call that a "circular curriculum" in IMP math.  Often if you just move on, even though you feel some of your students are not getting it, when you next come back to that topic you find that more of them have mysteriously become more capable at that skill.  This happens a lot in math and I think the same happens in learning programming.  Kind of like how Ron Stephens, on the Python 411 Podcasts described his learning of Python by jumping from one tutorial to the next and seeing the same topic in several different ways and finally "getting it".

Richard