[Edu-sig] a non-rhetorical question

Andrew Harrington aharrin at luc.edu
Mon Jul 9 20:55:26 CEST 2007

On the algebra/geometry questions:

As a longtime math professor in a past life, it is my observation of
students going forward from high school, and of students long ago when I
was in high school myself, and tutored a lot of peers, that there are
several effects in the algebra/geometry discussion.  It seems to me that
there are many students who process visual and spatial information very
well, who just 'get' geometry, and may have a very hard time with the
pure symbol manipulation in algebra.  Of course constructing a geometric
proof does involve getting into symbolism, and some who learn to get
motivation for that from the spatial images in geometry, then have an
easier time with algebra.

I have no hard data, but only a great deal of examples.

I also hypothesize that some students who are capable of learning symbol
manipulation, but need practice, do well getting that experience in
algebra, and then are less overwhelmed taking geometry later by the
added  requirement to have spatial intuition.

As to the natural order of brain maturation for processing symbols vs
spatial relationships, I leave that to others.

Andy Harrington