[Edu-sig] Python in Secondary Schools

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 16:46:35 CEST 2007

[snip]

> But do polemics have a place on a list dedicated to promoting *Python*
> in education? The list name is meant to be edu-sig at python.org, not
> mere edu-sig -- it's not about education(al politics) in general.
>
> I am seeing signals that there's been too much politics and not enough
> Python or education on this list.

I concur.

> While discussion of educational
> politics is a worthy cause, I want to present a strawman that excludes
> its discussion on this list.

I would totally support this. I always thought it was the purpose of this list.

In fact, from the edu-sig description on python.org:
===
Edu-sig provides an informal venue for comparing notes and discussing
future possibilities for Python in education. ...  Discussion focuses
on Python use at all levels, from beginning to advanced applications.
===

If we could focus on Python in education (including neat ways to use
Python to teach math), rather than divert discussions to talk about
squeak, home schooling, etc., I, for one, would be very much in
favour.

> I have seem more than one mailing list go
> up in flames over education politics -- understandably a touchy issue
> so perhaps best discussed elsewhere. I have also seen lists saved by a
> strict rule forbidding such destructive topics (enforced by a
> moderator reminding posters and readers of this rule when the topic is
> accidentally brought up again).

Are you suggesting that this list should become moderated?

André (Roberge)