[Edu-sig] Python in Secondary Schools

Andrew Harrington aharrin at luc.edu
Tue Jul 17 21:10:49 CEST 2007

On the focus of this list:  certainly Python education (even if it does
get contentious -- there are strong opinions on all sorts of things).
Certainly I am not looking for big large educational politics centered
discussions, but I am a bit concerned about the strength of the reaction
and going too far.

Politics do influence people's mindsets, and hence what they suggest
specifically about teaching Python.  People make suggests about teaching
Python that I take with more or less of a grain of salt depending on
where I judge they are coming from.  I would not like to lose the
context from which people speak.  There is always a matter of degree.
Explicitly self-identified influences, with links to a site that would
give more information to the interested about the influence certainly
sound fine and useful to me.  This extends to one-line links to most
anything that might be tangentially of interest to our audience, not
just politics.  Producing a whole page in our list that could better
appear on a politics site is completely different and I would prefer not
to be skimming over it, trying to find the end of the theme.

Andy

--
  Andrew N. Harrington
  Computer Science Department      Director of Academic Programs