[Edu-sig] Python in Secondary Schools

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 23:29:21 CEST 2007

On 7/17/07, Paul D. Fernhout <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com> wrote:
> I mostly agree with Andrew.

Interesting, seeing that, as I can understand it, Andrew was
mentioning how it was important that context from which people speak
be present in their discussion about "teaching Python."

So, if I can extract from what you wrote what seems to be the link
about "teaching Python" in your post (excluding the reference to
Kirby's teaching - he can describe it better than anyone else).

> It is difficult
> to discuss "Python in education" or "Computer programing for everyone"
> in any *meaningful* terms without the context of this ongoing
> educational revolution towards learned-centered solutions.

Really? Well, the question I have then is: "what proportion of the
discussion(s) should be devoted to Python in education and what
proportion to this education revolution?".

For my preference, on edu-sig ... I'd say at least 80% to the former.
I'm sure there are plenty of discussion forums where the latter could
be given a much greater emphasis.

> Essentially, what seems to me to be proposed here is making edusig a
> discussion group for "How or why to use Python (as is) for use in the
> standard K-12 classroom to meet narrowly defined instructional
> objectives?".

That's not how I see it.  It could be at the University level, or in a
home schooling environment, or in country with poorly developed
educational system - with the possibilities afforded by the olpc
project.   However, the focus imo should not be on the environment in
which Python is taught but on what is being taught, the approach and
examples being used, the software tools demonstrated, the hardware
used, etc.

Give us concrete examples of approaches that follows modern learner
centered teaching approaches if you wish, not simply links to papers
unrelated to Python about such approaches.

> Still, I could essentially see Guido's point, because some conventional
> school staff who otherwise like Python may face issues posting to a list
> talking about the future of education (which may appear to threaten
> their job)

The future of education in *your* country is not necessarily the same
in all countries. I'm interested in tools and approaches for teaching
Python.  This is why I read this list - and occasionally post to it.

André