[Edu-sig] Proposal: CP4E-sig

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 00:07:57 CEST 2007

Note:  I think it'll be confusing for newcomers to read the
following, and then encounter a strict "no politics" ban,
only recently instituted and not spelled out on any
python.org web page to date:

===
About Edu-sig
English (USA)

This list is the starting point for a community around the
Computer Programming for Everybody (CP4E) project,
and a general meeting place for educators interested in
teaching Python.

Currently the best description of CP4E is in the DARPA
proposal that generated the initial funding.

See also the edu-sig homepage.

To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the
Edu-sig Archives.
===

edu-sig has always been political (check the archives)
and as the text above makes clear, has indeed been
focussed on CP4E (I think very productively).

This move to suppress political content and refocus the
list is a departure from the status quo.

I'd like to see this list renamed to cp4e-sig so it might
keep its integrity and focus, while those with no stomach
for politics start their own (possibly heavily moderated)
group.  They could even call it edu-sig.  But we keep the
archives and go forward as cp4e-sig, in alignment with
the original mission statement and focus.

Until such time as we've expunged all mention of CP4E
from the current list's description, I think we should leave
it to the list owner, Timothy Wilson, to perform any
moderating duties, which might included quietly warning
newcomers about the new rules.  That's his job.  Guido
is just another subscriber here and shouldn't be forced
into performing duties he's not signed up for.  That'll just
be confusing to everyone.