[Edu-sig] Newbie question

Anna Ravenscroft annaraven at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 05:35:14 CEST 2007

On 7/18/07, Antoine van Gelder <hummingbird at hivemind.net> wrote:
> Guido wrote:
> > Our plan has three components:
> >
> >     * Develop a new computing curriculum suitable for high school and college students.
> >     * Create better, easier to use tools for program development and analysis.
> >     * Build a user community around all of the above, encouraging feedback and self-help.
> >
> > These components come together in the scientific exploration of the role of programming in
> > next generation computing environments.
> >
> > We intend to start with Python, a language designed for rapid development. We believe that
> > Python makes a great first language to learn: Unlike languages designed specifically for
> > beginners, Python is also the choice of many programming professionals. It has an active,
> > growing user community which has already expressed much interest in this proposal, and
> > we expect that this will be a fertile first deployment ground for the teaching materials
> > and tools we propose to create. During the course of the research we will evaluate Python
> > and propose improvements or alternatives.
> Please forgive me.
> I know very little about the history of this forum so I have a small
> question:
> Which mailing list should I be subscribed to in order to participate in
> discussion regarding the component of the plan:
>    "Develop a new computing curriculum suitable for high school and
> college students."
> ?
> There are political considerations which interact with any goals that
> involve the development of high school and college curricula and if
> edu-sig at python.org is not the place to discuss them I fear I may be in
> the wrong place!

In my view, if the political considerations directly and specifically
affect Python curriculum development (or getting a particular
curriculum accepted) in a particular situation, that's one thing.
Going on at great length repeatedly about educational
politics/philosophy in general is another. There are many lists and
fora specifically for those topics.

It is fate, but call it Italy if it pleases you, Vicar!