[Edu-sig] Donated computers, Linux, and IDLE problems.

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 13:26:24 CEST 2007

I echo Atul's suggestion.  The Synaptic Package Manager lets you install
IDLE as a separate package, against a pre-existing Python 2.5 (or install
that first if you need to).**

On my version of Ubuntu (7.04) the install process automatically
loaded IDLE into the main Applications menu under a new Programming
item (little trowel icon).

Click trowel, see IDLE on submenu, with new duo-snake logo.

Then go watch the Nelson Mandela video about the spirit of Ubuntu
(comes with the distro: home folder /Examples/Experience ubuntu.ogg).

Kirby

** apt-get install python2.5-minimal