[Edu-sig] Europython paper accepted...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 05:48:59 CEST 2007

Excellent, I've got a slot after lunch on Day 1 of Europython:

http://www.europython.org/sections/tracks_and_talks/draft-timetable

Still focusing on string.Template, looking to recode my paradigm
"math objects" using X3D output (XML flavored -- there's also a more
VRML-like format).

I've proposed to Joyce (CEO) that I work up a new Saturday Academy
class focusing on Python + X3D, perhaps presuming some Python.
She seems willing to explore it further.

I still have another section of my regular Pythonic math course
scheduled for this summer, where we use VPython and POV-Ray:

http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/pymath.html

I found this 2003 article a helpful reintroduction to the subject of
these relatively new 3D tools:

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/08/06/x3d.html

Kirby

PS: One of the philosophers mentioned in passing in my Lithuania
paper, Richard Rorty, died recently.  There's a write up in today's
New York Times.  He was a good teacher for me back when I was
focusing on philo at Princeton (1976-1980).  He advised me on my
undergrad thesis on Wittgenstein's later writings.

More views re RR:
http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/christopher_hayes/2007/06/richard_rorty.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-seery/richard-rorty-ironicall_b_51611.html