[Edu-sig] CS0 course

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 20:35:47 CEST 2007

You ask really interesting questions Andre.

I see a huge market for niche authors wanting to specialize
in computer language X crossed with human language Y.

I think you'll agree that's a huge matrix of possibilities.

When you factor in the "Python for Perl junkies" genre
(i.e. assuming familiarity with computer language X0,
here's computer language X1), and the fact that this
bridging goes on with the human languages (e.g.
Lithuanian for Dzongkha speakers), you end up staring at
a really wide vista (of mostly deserted nothingness).

In my view, words like __add__ and __slots__ are special
to Python the language, like the list of keywords, but
variable names, function names, class names, have wide
latitude.  People will do their various experiments around
Unicode, still very new.  I look forward to the many hand-
crafted coding languages with those "made by elvynchyx"
decorations or whatever gets your pesos.

I bet you, a college president, using some free time, could
help write a dynamite chapter book ala Who Is Fourier? (LEX)
that mixed several languages but with heaviest emphasis
on French -- maybe using lots of graphic motifs even starting
it as an open source project, with graphic artists especially
welcome? Practical?

Just like maybe we could recruit aqua teens to someday
teach __python__, other cartoon friends.  Beloved characters
like Big Bird aren't designed to grow up with their cohort.  He'll
never teach us complex numbers.  Not a criticism -- BB is an
MVP.

Anyway, thank you for bringing up the whole question
of how CS gypsies want to wander, vis-a-vis unicode and
romanji, the various mixes and matches.

I say "onward into the vast wilderness" -- it's stil a small,
lonely planet, no matter how ya cut it.  Plus lets keep an
eye on maintaining useful code that already works, in
whatever language.  I'm not suggesting we gleefully
start from scratch at every opportunity.  Getting to the
current crop of VHLLs hasn't been whatch'd call easy.

Kirby

PS:  I think Daniel Ajoy writes beautiful Logo in Spanish,
even though I (a) don't know Logo that well any more,
if I ever did and (b) I'm really rusty with Spanish.