[Edu-sig] [edupython] Python in Education Advocacy Article

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 00:54:03 CEST 2007

This is all great stuff! Thanks to all who responded here or in email!

However so far this all goes to only half of the questions I am trying
to address.

I'd also like to consider the bad news. At least three important
projects that I know of have abandoned Python in favor of Java or
Squeak:

1) Alice
2) Patapata
3) Mark Guzdial's CS for artists course/textbook

It is also plain to see that self-directed web-centric beginners are
more likely to gravitate to Javascript, Actionscript/Flash or PHP.

What are the roots of these choices? Should we be concerned about
them? If so, is there anything we can and should realistically do
about them?

mt