[Edu-sig] OLPC vs. CP4E

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Tue May 1 20:55:24 CEST 2007

kirby urner wrote:
> FORTH gets mentioned as a teaching
> language, not just Python.

Yeah, that's crack. Our firmware is written in Forth -- the 'teaching
language' bit is someone's colorful invention. As far as language
environments go, we're shipping Python as core, and then Squeak and a
TBD Logo variant; Javascript is present through the browser.

> Some kids'll have Google accounts that
> back up everything centrally.

All kids will have Google accounts, though they will not be required in
any sense for the laptop's functionality. Before someone jumps in with
terrifying privacy concerns, I should say that the security platform
treats (almost) all backup servers as untrusted and generally only deals
with encrypted blobs.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D