[Edu-sig] education as Python killer app

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Wed May 23 20:50:46 CEST 2007

Is education Python's killer app? I think it could be.

I used the occasion of the Python Papers to motivate my efforts to
explain this idea, and you can see what I came up with on pages
8-15.

The part that makes me especially queasy is the CP4E section on pages
10-11. I wish I had more to say there. It's fairly clear to those of
us who weren't there that there were some problems, but it's not
especially clear what they were or what we should learn from them. I'd
very much appreciate input from those who were actually there!

Anyway

http://tinyurl.com/yr62r3

seems to short-circuit some pointless hoop-jumping to get you to the
article.

If that doesn't work, try going to http://pyjournal.cgpublisher.com/
and looking for the spring 2007 edition.

I suggest a concerted effort by the community toward leveraging the
OLPC/Sugar momentum to revive the idea of Python as tool for teaching
some programming as a useful part of universal education.

I have posted this to the advocacy list and c.l.p. I welcome response
or critiques.

mt