[Edu-sig] Software Engineering with Python for Scientist and Engineers

Paul D. Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Fri Nov 2 05:19:38 CET 2007

This project was one funded by the Python Software Foundation:
  "Software Engineering with Python for Scientist and Engineers."
  http://www.swc.scipy.org
  http://www.python.org/psf/grants/report-2006-10/

Seems like an interesting source of material for teaching people using
Python and Jython in a larger science and engineering context. Seems to
cover (Briefly) a lot of ground, including things like version control which
aren't strictly just Python but are important anyway in Python programming
in practice. Plus it is free and open source and so possible to change.

>From that page:

"""
Overview

Many scientists and engineers spend much of their lives programming, but
only a handful have ever been taught how to do this well. As a result, they
spend their time wrestling with software, instead of doing research, but
have no idea how reliable or efficient their programs are.

This course is an intensive introduction to basic software development
practices for scientists and engineers that can reduce the time they spend
programming by 20-25%. All of the material is open source: it may be used
freely by anyone for educational or commercial purposes, and research groups
in academia and industry are actively encouraged to adapt it to their needs.
"""

Does anyone here have any comment on it or used it in teaching or
self-education? I looked in the edusig archives and did not find a mention
of it here before, which I found surprising. Maybe I just missed it?

--Paul Fernhout