[Edu-sig] grabbing the output from turtle and sending it to a (real) printer

Atanas Radenski radenski at studypack.com
Mon Nov 12 20:11:07 CET 2007

> My students have loved drawing pics in turtle. What they'd love more (as
> would the wall of my classroom) would be if they could print their pictures
> to a printer.

Outside of Python, you can use simple OS facilities to capture the
drawing, paste in a file, then print or do whatever else you want
(inside a python, it is too dark to see any graphics - to paraphrase
Groucho Marx :-). How exactly you create and paste this the drawing
will depend on your particular system: Windows, Macintosh,  Linux, etc.

In Windows, for example, perform the following steps.

* Click on the title bar of the drawing widow to make it the active window.
* Use Alt + Print Screen to copy the window onto the clipboard. The
above step will have no visible effect to you.
* Start any application that can handle graphics, such as the Paint program.
* Use Edit -> Paste to paste the window copied from the clipboard onto
an empty document.
* Print the document.

If you have no access to Paint, you can use a word processor, such as
Microsoft Office Word or Open Office Writer.

Atanas
--
Atanas Radenski
mailto:radenski at studypack.com   http://studypack.com