[Edu-sig] OLPC G1G1 sales start today

François Schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 01:05:03 CET 2007

I'm also very disappointed with the limited distribution scheme of the
XO (in time and US only).

For me there is no doubt that the XO is the best educational and
technical machine out there (vs Intel Classmate and Asus EEE) but it's
not sufficient not even necessary to have the best product to gain
wide adoption (ask Microsoft).

Now that the XO has entered mass production I believe the OLPC project
should concentrate *now* on starting the ecosystem, the layers of the
onion, to hopefully reach a sustainable critical mass (of software
developpers, content creators, advocates, to sell more, to lower the
price, etc). I believe it just won't happen with the actual
distribution scheme.

When I had my first 100 $ "laptop", I was a kid, and the ZX81 could be
bought everywhere by anybody. As a result this very limited machine
(and following ones), without the web, saw a  growing "community" and
dedicated magazines where full of Open Source and Open Hardware,
sharing tweaks and hacks and all kind of creative projects which
ignited the curiosity and vocation of many today engineers:
http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Systems/Sinclair/Magazines_and_E-zines/

In regard the XO is a heaven but where are the well deserved vibrant layers ??
it's been a while I'm following these official OLPC lists, at least,
but sadly, they doesn't flood my mailbox:

In the meantime Asus recently released the EEE subnote book:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/curiouslee/1949245574/

Officially it is not for education (they say now) and you can buy it
everywhere *now* (or soon) with an ASUS 2 years warranty. Oh, and the
official website is full of kids pictures...
http://eeepc.asus.com/en/

Well right now ASUS have a hard time to keep up with the unexpected
high demand ... the layers are building fast, forums, blogs  and lists
are again vibrant with tweaks, hacks and all kind of creative projects
If I take my little, tiny, microscopic French country for example
(where the laptop won't even be available before the mid-december):
http://www.blogeee.net/forum/
http://www.blogeee.net/
I see that this single forum is already very active with people
sharing their experience and projects with few laptops bought from
Taiwan on Ebay.

I can't buy an XO and consequently can't contribute to the XO project,
I will then buy an EEE and probably contribute to the EEE layers.

I find that ironic considering that I'm fully in sync with Nicloas
Negroponte, Papert and Kay main ideas and approach.

So, yes the OLPC is already an incredible success (it shook-up Intel
and Asus) so cheap, affordable machines are and will be more and more
a reality thanks to the OLPC initial strike. I also expected the
layers catalysts, my mistake probably.

PS:
Hopefully Quanta will release a "consumer" version of the XO (could be
already to late to reach a "critical mass", hopefully I'm wrong)

francois