[Edu-sig] Kids Programming Book

Warren Sande warren.sande at rogers.com
Sun Nov 25 04:47:48 CET 2007

Edu-Sig Members,

Greetings.  Apologies in advance for the long message.

I am the author of a new book:  "Computer Programming for Kids"  The full title is "Computer Programming for Kids (and other beginners) Using Python".  The book's publisher is Manning Publications.  It will be available in late spring of 2008.

This is an introduction to computer programming for kids age 8 and up.  It uses clear, friendly language, fun examples, illustrations, and a bit of silliness to teach the basic concepts of computer programming.

The book is intended to be suitable for use at home or in a school setting, as part of an elementary/middle school/junior high computer literacy program.  I strongly believe that some level of knowledge in programming should be given to all students.  This is not just for kids who want to grow up to be programmers.  The level of computer literacy required in all walks of like is increasing, and some knowledge of programming empowers users and removes barriers.  It also teaches critical and logical thinking and reinforces skills from other parts of the curriculum such as math, science, and literacy.  (I know I'm preaching to the choir here...)

The manuscript is 90+% complete, and we are looking for potential reviewers for the complete manuscript.   The book has had some interim reviews, but we would like to expand the scope a bit for the final review and include children and more educators.  Also, instead of a simple read-through, we would ideally like reviewers (especially the kids) to install Python and the necessary modules and actually work through the examples.  The final review should be starting around mid-December.  (This will give kids and teachers Christmas break to work on it.)

Why would someone want to do this?  Here are some of the benefits as I see them:  (my "sales pitch" to potential reviewers)
- You get to see some of how the book writing, editing and production process works - a bit of insight into the publishing world.
- You get to have input - a say in how the finished book will look.
- You get your name published in the book, an acknowledgement of your help and efforts for all to see.
- You get to see this unique new book before anyone else!
- You (or your class) get a free copy of the finished book.

Here is what is expected:

1. Read the whole book and try the examples.  This is the kind of book where you mostly have to read it in front of the computer and try things as you go along.  You learn programming by doing, not just by reading.  We will provide an installer that will install everything required.
2. Try to answer the self-test questions at the end of each chapter.
3. Answer some questions for us about what you thought of the book and how we could make it better.

I won't kid you, this is real work.  The book will be 350 - 400 pages, 25 chapters.  It will probably take several weeks of your spare time to work though the book:  read it, try the examples, do the test questions, and answer our "survey" questions.  To give you an idea, here are some of the things we will be asking:
- Did all of the example programs work as they were supposed to?  If not, which ones, and what happened?
- Did you understand what the book was trying to teach (chapter by chapter)?
- Did the examples make sense?  Did they help reinforce the idea being covered?
- Can you think of any other examples that would make things more clear?  More fun?  More relevant to kids?
- Can you think of any ideas for pictures, diagrams, cartoons, etc. that would help explain things?  Where and what kind of picture?

If you or your child/student is up for the challenge, we would love to have your help with this exciting project.

Sincerely,
Warren Sande
warren.sande at rogers.com