[Edu-sig] Thesis about Python & Zope

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 16:18:37 CEST 2007

On 10/10/07, Jan Ulrich Hasecke <jan.ulrich at hasecke.com> wrote:

> I hope to say something about Python, I even suggested a workshop and
> I would like to back up my words with educational studies.

Hi Jan --

Sometimes one just needs a lot of substantive lesson plans,
versus a lot of theory justifying why such lesson plans might
be a good idea.

If you get to that point, I have a large stash here:
http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/cp4e.html

Also showmedo.com is a good site.  Also you're right:  the
archive here is bristling with links, going back seven years
or more (many still as relevant as ever).  I bet other posters
with chime in with some favorites (?).

So far, we teach Python to a few lucky middle and high
schoolers in Portland Public Schools, as well as in our elite
private academy (an NGO set up by Silicon Forest execs,
specifically to nurture geekdom -- saturdayacademy.org).

For example, here're some leftover web pages from my
work at Winterhaven, one of our flagship publics:
http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/winterhaven/

Plus I'm starting a new gig with LEP High, our newest public
charter.  http://www.koreducators.org/

> I know there are tons of good links in the archives of this list, but
> I am so busy that I fear I could not evaluate them. It would be more
> than nice, if you could point me to a page with links to revelant
> studies or just post links to new studies. Studies with european
> context preferred.
>
> TIA
> juh

Just tell your audience of parents (right?) that their counterparts
in my neck of the woods are already racing ahead in this respect.

Portland considers itself an open source capital with a reputation
to protect:  http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1128/p03s02-ussc.html

One of my own students / advisees, whom I started working with
in 8th grade, was at the Portland Python User Group last night,
now a high schooler, signifying the torch is already well on the
way to being passed:

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2007/10/ppug-cubespace.html

Kirby