[Edu-sig] python for kids...

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 00:35:29 CEST 2007

This is very much a first reaction after glancing through your book.

I find that, for a first draft done on your own, it looks very professional.
I like the simple use of colors (green code and red visible spaces), and the
illustrations are nice.

After this first "reading", I would suggest to move the turtle stuff much,
much sooner ... as soon as possible in fact.  I think you can really get the
kids hooked from that, giving them motivation to do the strings stuff
later.  But that's my own bias...

The Tkinter introduction is really nice - I don't recall seeing something
this nice before.   However, I would suggest that you have a look at
pyglet.  After playing a bit with it, I find that pyglet has a lot of
potential, perhaps more (imo) than the standard pygame.  (for one thing,
being a pure Python module, it can be used right way "as is" when changing
Python version, rather than having to rely on someone else compiling it)

I'll try to really read through it in the near future and provide more
meaningful feedback.

For now: "Great job!" :-)

André