[Edu-sig] Curriculum fine tuning...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 21:20:14 CEST 2007

On 10/12/07, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I'm coming to see how it's important to keep this
> "core Python" idea current, as newbies from other
> languages are used to a certain blending with eye
> candy, e.g. Visual Studio, and think there's a fight
> for "first lady" by Qt, Tk, wx and like that.

And let me just add that I think the better eye candy
add-ons are going to be shell friendly in some way, i.e.
you want to be able to stand in front of an audience,
projecting in real time, and animate a parrot or open a
new window or whatever, interactively, from a command
prompt.  This implies "import widgets" semantics, with
Python the controller.

I think ZODB became more mature when it stopped
trying to wrap Python as some baroque controller from
hell, and became just another snake in the snake farm.
Now a developer just goes 'import zodb' and has full
shell mode access to sophisticated object storage --
everything from videos to grandma's cookie recipies
will fit, with eye candy galore for your PDA -- or your
server farm (thanks to Zeo, it scales).