[Edu-sig] Forum hosting for HS Python group

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Sun Oct 28 20:50:25 CET 2007

Hi Richard,

Any of the one-click instaler hosts should be able to host forums like
this.  I use Dreamhost, but TextDrive also has a good reputation.
They have inexpensive hosting options.  Alternatively you can get a
free blog site through WordPress or Blogger and give each student a
login for posting.

For eliminating spam, you will need to use whatever facilities the
tool you use has, and also actively monitor and clean anything that
gets through anyway.  I know WordPress has Akismet support for
eliminating spam, and also you can set the rules for when a post or
reply triggers moderation (no-one will see a moderated post until you
approve it).

The part about "only open to members of the programming club" is
trickier.  Do you mean that only they can see or read it, or that only
they can post to it.  Setting it up so that only they can post to it
is easy, but making it invisible to the rest of the web makes me think
you need a very different solution than what I've proposed.

--Dethe