[Edu-sig] Unicode made easy: another recreational example

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 19:36:50 CEST 2008

I put the code I was demoing at Wanderers,
(see recent blog post **), at the URL below:

http://www.4dsolutions.net/ocn/python/iching.py

If you want to see the Chinese characters,
set your browser to Unicode -- has to be done
manually because this Python module has
none of the XHTML stuff that'd cue today's
models.

Presuming you have a compatible font installed,
you'll see even the trigrams appear in quoted
strings.  That's it though.  I'm sticking with
Latin-1 for unquoted names so I'm guessing
this'd technically meet the Standard Library
compatibility test no?

Nothing you couldn't already do in 2.5, but this
implementation is definitely cleaner.

All that stuff about coin tossing, even/odd is
from Glenn (a friend and student of the relevant
literature).

Another design I use, for bridging to spatial
geometry, is (+A and -A) = 2 = even, while
(+B or -B) = 1 = odd, and AAB creates the
value 3 MITE, the beginning of "number" in
the I Ching namespace, with 2 and 1 regarded
as primitive yinyang generators, and the MITE
being a particular space-filling shape I blog
about, define as a Python class in some modules
(my students know about MITEs, that A & B are
likewise shape names).

Kirby
4D

** http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2008/04/wanderers-200841.html