[Edu-sig] Experience with projecting student screens?

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Thu Aug 14 17:44:03 CEST 2008

Not so much the split screen, but we have started using iTalc to
share/monitor/etc student screens. That lets an arbitrary student screen
appear as the projected screen. iTalk is controlled from the teacher's
computer, so it's not really spontaneous or student controlled.

On a similar theme, I've also had kids in Python classes write IRC
clients and bots and interact on an inhouse IRC server. That's actually
loads of fun, particularly when they start trying to construct bots -
lots of thinking that goes beyond bare syntax and coding and the like.

Cheers,
Vern

kirby urner wrote:
> I wonder if anyone on edu-sig has experience in classrooms that allow
> switching any student's screen to become the projected screen, even
> dividing up the projected screen among students (as in some Xbox
> games).
>
> I find students don't always like having their privacy disturbed nor
> the big brother feel, but understand multi-user game play.
>
> With Twisted on the school server, it's increasing easy to devise
> these multi-user exercises involving teams in a competitive
> relationship.
>
> Not saying every school uses Twisted, duh, just that we have that
> freedom in some academies, where CP4E type kids get a green light to
> geek out.
>
> The more common design pattern these days is for students to share
> whats on screen more asynchronously, by swapping YouTubes around.
>
> Kirby

This time for sure!
    -Bullwinkle J. Moose